Vegetarian Vietnamese Food: 4 Famous Dishes You Must Try Once
Besides Thailand, Vietnam is also one of the Asian countries that are famous for its sumptuous cuisine. Now let’s try vegetarian Vietnamese food to have a new aspect of the diversity of Asia cuisine.
Vegetarian Vietnamese food [Source: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wXr7YH3kVVM/hqdefault.jpg]
Currently, vegetarianism is becoming a trend that many people have chosen. Whether it is a purpose for faith, a hobby, or a desire to protect animals, a vegetarian diet offers many benefits. Vegetarianism means eating herbs such as fruits, vegetables instead of consuming animal dishes like meat, fish, shrimp, crabs, and so on.
Vegetarian Vietnamese food is plentiful to provide visitors with so many delicious and skillful dishes. Are you excited? Let’s explore 4 famous vegetarian food that you should not miss when visiting Vietnam.
Cơm rang rau củ (Fried rice with vegetables)
Whether you are a vegetarian or not, rice is an indispensable ingredient in every Vietnamese meal. With simple ingredients and a little cooking time, you will have an attractive and delicious vegetable fried rice dish for your family.
Fried rice with vegetables [Source: http://gl.amthuc365.vn/thumbnails/850/590//uploads/i/Cong-thuc-com-rang-chay-voi-rau-cu-dam-da-bo-duong-1.jpg?v=4.1]
For this dish, you will need:
- 1 bowl of cold rice
- 1/2 carrot
- 6 string beans
- 3 fresh frozen shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 spoon of vegetarian seasoning powder
The process is quite simple:
- Wash and chop all the vegetables.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to a saucepan, stir-fry all the vegetables for about 10 minutes, remember to add vegetarian seasoning powder to make the vegetables taste better.
- Then stir the rice and sprinkle some sesame oil and soy sauce. Soy sauce helps to make the fried rice have a beautiful brown color. Continue to stir until the rice is dry and have a slightly yellow color. If you like to eat crunchy rice, stir fry for a little longer.
Sprinkle with a bit of pepper, and it’s ready to serve.
Xôi dừa (Coconut sticky rice)
Sticky rice is a delicious dish that appears in almost every Vietnamese breakfast. And coconut sticky rice will contribute to making the vegetarian menu more plentiful. The distinctive aroma of sticky rice combined with the sweet taste of coconut will surely provoke your hunger.
Coconut sticky rice [Source: https://media.cooky.vn/recipe/g4/34206/s800x500/cooky-recipe-cover-r34206.jpg]
The ingredients include:
- 1 kilogram of sticky rice
- 100 gram of grated coconut
- Coconut oil
- Roasted sesame
- First, wash the sticky rice and put it in a basin soaked with warm water for about 8 hours and then let it drain.
- Add a little salt into it and stir it with rice and grated coconut. Mix the mixture well with your hands
- Steam the mixture in a pot (or a steamer), and remember to stir it up often
- When the coconut sticky rice is almost done, add some white sugar and stir it up again for the sugar to dissolve completely, then turn off the heat
Sprinkle some grated coconut and roasted sesame on the top, and now you have a delightful vegetarian Vietnamese food ready to enjoy.
Chả đậu xanh (Fried green beans puree)
Green beans are the main ingredient for many different delicious and nutritious dishes such as green bean sticky rice, porridge, and so on. Fried green beans puree is a simple but unique food that not everyone knows.
Fried green[Source: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZJs5DtRvjm8/maxresdefault.jpg] beans puree
You need to prepare these ingredients:
- 150-gram green beans
- Cooking oil, spices
- Soak the green beans in warm water overnight or about 5 hours
- Wash and drain the beans
- Add green beans with a little water to the blender. Pour in a bit of water to make it easier to grind
- Pour the blended beans into a bowl, add spices (salt, pepper)
- Leave it in the fridge for about 15 minutes
- Evenly split the dough into small pieces, squeeze the round shape and then press it flatly
- Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat, deep fry the green beans puree until its outside turns golden brown.
- Serve immediately for the best flavor.
Quick, simple, and convenient, delicious fried green beans puree is ready to serve. With the fleshy and yellow color of green beans, this dish will guarantee you a unique attraction both in the form and taste.
Lẩu nấm (Mushroom hotpot)
There is nothing better than gather with friends or relatives in the cold days of autumn around the hot pot. Hot pot is still considered a favorite dish for the family gatherings. Vegetarian hot pot often uses ingredients from mushrooms: enoki mushroom, king oyster mushroom, straw mushroom, abalone mushroom and fresh green vegetables such as carrots, cabbage and so on.
Mushroom hot pot [Source: https://nghebep.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/cach-nau-lau-ga-nau-nam.jpg]
You can try to make hot and sour mushroom hot pot with simple ingredients and cooking process as below.
All you need is:
- Enoki mushroom, king oyster mushroom, lingzhi white mushroom, lingzhi brown mushroom, straw mushroom, abalone mushroom
- Napa cabbage, tomato, basil, fried onion, tofu, and noodle
- Galangal 15 gram; chili 10 gram; lemon leaves 5 gram; olive oil 2 tablespoons; white line 100 gram, 100ml vegetarian fish sauce; tamarind juice 150ml
- Chili sauce 100 gram; chili peppers 15 gram; vegetarian seasoning seeds 50 gram; coconut water 1/3 liter
- Wash and drain all the mushroom
- Cut napa cabbage, tofu, and tomato into small pieces
- Heat the pot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, then let 30-gram lemongrass crushed, 15-gram galangal pounding, 10-gram chili. Next, add chopped tomato and stir-fry. Add 1.3 liters of coconut water to the pot, bring to a boil.
- When the broth comes to a boil, season with tamarind 150ml, 100-gram sugar, 100ml vegetarian fish sauce, 100-gram chili sauce, 50-gram vegetarian seasoning, 15-gram chili dry sauté. Stir the spice until it is completely dissolved. The hot pot is the convergence of 4 sour, spicy, sweet, and salty taste.
- Finally, add 5-gram lemon leaves to the pot, and your hot pot is ready.
These dishes contain the beauty in the culinary culture of Vietnamese people, focusing on nutrition and the harmony of taste and color. Try them and you will be strongly impressed by Vegetarian Vietnamese foods.